King William Residents Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanitation

2 posters

Go down

Sanitation Empty Sanitation

Post  Admin Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Most of us have septic tanks around here. If the pump to your well isn't running, though, how do you flush the toilet? Are there alternatives?

Admin
Admin

https://kwrc.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Sanitation Empty Sanitation solution

Post  pjamer7227 Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:08 am

I have a creek on my property. When power is lost. I simply walk down & fill 2ea 5 gallon buckets for flushing use. You can then pour the H2O in a smaller bucket & use in the tank & flush like usual. The creek also has another advantage - It does not freeze in winter & runs whether we have electricity or not. So far this has not been regulated or monitored by a government agency. If you do not have a creek - You could do the same thing with one of the rivers that flow here.

pjamer7227

Back to top Go down

Sanitation Empty Re: Sanitation

Post  Admin Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Good point. You can get these buckets from a variety of things, too. From bulk food stuff to paint. If you want something a bit sturdier, home depot sells these buckets for under four dollars a piece, though that's without lids.

An average conventional flush toilet uses about 4 gallons per flush, normally, but you could try less and see if it works. If you want to figure it out ahead of time, you could turn off the water valve to your toilet, flush the water out, then try it out and see. That way you'd know how much water you need per flush, and thus how many trips a day you'd be looking at to the creek or river.

If you have to travel to get the water, you probably need a lid or something. You can get them for around three dollars apiece as well. You may also want to consider a larger container to keep handy. That way you could make a couple of trips and fill the larger container, then not have to run down to the river or creek multiple times a day possibly. They have "drums" online, but they are like 30 dollars or more. You can get large cheap trash cans or storage containers for as little as ten dollars that I have seen, if you consider this an option.

Admin
Admin

https://kwrc.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  pjamer7227 Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:12 am

The new Toilets flush with 1.6 gal of water or less. A rain barrow will save trips to the creek.

pjamer7227

Back to top Go down

Post  pjamer7227 Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:09 am

There are also the solutions our forefathers used.(Think before electricity and running water was a creek or river) When I went into basic training we were taught to make a slit trench for our personal sanitation use while on the march. Our forefather did the same thing only they called it a Johnny House.

If you do any camping there are also dry toilets that will allow you to bag the waste & dispose of it in a manner you consider correct. One must remember - Dumps may be closed - Trash not picked up - stores closed - Forethought is the rule.

If all else fails - The slit trench works every time it is tried & requires only a little digging to get a 6 inch wide x 6 inch long x 6 inch deep (size can vary based on aim) trench that can be covered over when finished. Far as I know the health department does not require a permit, license or inspection to create one. In this land of the free - this could be changed at any time. So if you are proactive & dig an emergency trench - call it part of your garden that you have not planted yet.

pjamer7227

Back to top Go down

Sanitation Empty Re: Sanitation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum